December 19, 2012 update – A friend recently told me that I could put doTERRA Oil of Oregano and their OnGuard essential oil blend on my son’s feet and it will be absorbed into his bloodstream. This is a good option for our family since my son doesn’t swallow capsules and doesn’t like the taste of oil of oregano. We are now using these oils. Read more here.
I’ve been researching the health benefits of oil of oregano. I knew that it had antifungal and antibiotic properties, but I didn’t realize that it is actually just as efficient as antifungals and antibiotics (based on scientific research). And, it doesn’t breed antibiotic-resistant bacteria! Happily, my husband is also open to trying it as he’s really not keen on our son being on long-term antifungals and antibiotics.
I didn’t really seriously consider oil of oregano because I knew that it has a strong taste and I didn’t think that my son would want to take it. Our Traditional Chinese Medicine (TMC) doctor* mentioned it to us, but she also didn’t know of an oregano oil that would be palatable for children. Last night, I did a search on google and found a link to Tori’s GFCFSF blog, which mentioned an oil of oregano product for kids! Yay!
North American Herb and Spice has a whole children’s line of oil of oregano products! I spoke to their office to find out the best product for my son and they recommended a couple of new products that aren’t on their website yet… Orega Cinn and Orega Mint, which are tasty oil of oregano formulations! I ordered Orega Mint today. All it contains is organic raw honey, organic goldenberry syrup, organic water soluble oil of oregano and organic oil of wild mint.
- Honey – immune booster
- Goldenberries - high amounts of carotene and bioflavonoids (vitamin P) — nutrients which studies have shown to produce anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activity. Goldenberries are also an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C
- Wild mint aids digestion, respiratory problems, asthma and skin care.
My hope is that we can use the oil of oregano instead of the antifungal and antibiotic. We’ll talk to our naturopath / TMC doctor about dosages.
Some links to research and information about oil of oregano’s antibiotic and antifungal properties:
- Research and studies on oregano oil here, here, here.
- How to use oil of oregano instead of antibiotics here.
- Oil of oregano as an antibiotic and antifungal here.
- Oil of oregano rivals modern antibiotic drugs here.
- Oil or oregano, nature’s antibiotic and antifungal supplement here.
- FAQ about oil of oregano here.
- Dr. Mercola’s tips on dealing with infections naturally (includes oregano oil and other natural antimicrobials) here.
- Some posts about oil of oregano and children here.
Other natural antimicrobials:
- grapefruit seed extract
- black walnut
- pharmaceutical grade hydrogen peroxide
- Allimax - a garlic supplement
- Biocidin – a mom of an autistic child recommended this one Bilberry extract (25% anthocyanosides), Noni, Milk Thistle, Echinacea (purpurea & angustifolia), Goldenseal, Shiitake, White Willow (bark), Garlic, Grapeseed extract (min 90% polyphenols), Black Walnut (hull and leaf), Raspberry, Fumitory, Gentian, Tea Tree oil, Galbanum oil, Lavender oil (plant and flower), Oregano oil (plant and flower).
- miracle mineral solution (MMS)
- Mom of an autistic child rotates every 3 to 4 weeks: Grapefruit Seed Extract, Biocidin, Microbial Maintenance w/ Artemisinin, and Caprylic Complex (pharmax). All are botanicals.
- Holy basil – anti-inflammatory and anti-viral
Interesting side notes about our TMC doctor:
* As an aside, my husband trusts the opinion of the TMC doctor because he consulted with her about some long-term gastro-intestinal problems that he has been having for about a year. Within a week of following her advice, his digestion improved. He found out through biomeridian testing that he is sensitive to peanuts and sunflower seeds. With the offending foods out of his diet, he is already feeling better less than a week later.
Another interesting note: My husband’s mother had been bugging us for the last 6-12 months to see a TMC doctor that helped two of her brothers with health issues. We were reluctant because my son was already seeing so many other specialists and alternate health practitioners and we were happy with our current care. After the diagnosis, the wife of a colleague, who is a pediatric nurse, recommended that we consult with a TMC doctor. When we read about her credentials, we were excited to see her as she was not only a TCM doctor, but was also a practicing Hematologist and Allergist in China and had a M.Sc. in Immunology. We just found out on Saturday that this individual is the same practitioner that my mother-in-law was pestering us to see. Feels like divine providence.
- One of my new blog friends recommended a book about oil of oregano: The Cure is in the Cupboard: How to Use Oregano for Better Health. I now have it on order!
- Read what Sustainable Baby Steps has to say about the health benefits and uses of oil of oregano
December 19, 2012:
A friend recently told me that I could put doTERRA Oil of Oregano and their OnGuard essential oil blend on my son’s feet and it will be absorbed into his bloodstream. This is a good option for our family since my son doesn’t swallow capsules and doesn’t like the taste of oil of oregano. I am now using these oils. Read more here.