I love to share some of Dr. Mercola’s articles since they make a lot of sense to me. Last week, he wrote an article entitled Genes are not the main case of autism (although truthfully, I think that genes still play an important part).
His recommendations for autistic children include many things we are following (or trying to follow) for my sensitive child like:
- Eliminate sugar (particularly fructose) and grains from your child’s diet.
- Avoid pasteurized milk.
- Tailor your child’s diet to whole fresh organic foods for optimal health.
- Optimize vitamin D levels through proper sun exposure.
- Lower microbial burden.
- Lower toxic burdens.
- Reduce EMF exposure.
- Use tools such as Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) to minimize emotional stress.
- Saying no to vaccinations.
He also discusses Dr. Campbell’s GAPS program, which includes these suggestions:
- traditionally fermented foods, such as kefir, yogurt and vegetables;
- sunbathing without sunscreen for Vitamin D protection;
- avoidance of grains;
- healthy diet, including juicing, animal fats, meat and fresh vegetables;
- omega-3 fats;
- avoidance of processed foods and corn syrups;
- baths with Epsom salts and sea salt, seaweed powder and cider vinegar, and bicarbonate soda;
- digestive enzymes; and
- avoidance of vegetable oils.