I first heard of glutathione while reading the book, “Healing and Preventing Autism” by Jenny McCarthy and Jerry Kartzinel. An entire chapter in McCarthy and Kartzinel’s book describes the importance of glutathione, how it is the most important substance that our body produces to help our immune system fight infections. It’s the body’s most important antioxidant and the body’s most powerful detoxifier. Glutathione chelates heavy metals like mercury (i.e., binds to heavy metals, so that they can be removed from the body). Most autistic children are low in glutathione (I’ve read that autistic children have 50% less intracellular glutathione than other children), which is why they have so much trouble detoxifing vaccines, medications, environmental toxins, toxins in food and why they have so much trouble fighting infections and diseases. Read a Talk about Curing Autism article about detoxification, glutathione and autism here.
Dr. Kartzinel discusses how many autistic children come from “poor methylating families”, meaning families that tend to have a difficult time producing glutathione (i.e., the overall function of the methylation pathway is under genetic control). Poor methylating families have a family history of depression, bipolar disease, schizophrenia, suicide, constipation, attention deficit disorder, alcoholism and, of course, autism. See also this list of diseases and illnesses that are linked to low glutathione levels. Furthermore, the methylation pathway is sensitive to environmental toxins, such as mercury. So a person who is exposed to a toxin (like mercury) who is already undermethylating (i.e., under producing glutathione) will have an even more difficult time detoxing when exposed to such toxins. It turns into a vicious cycle.
Glutathione can be taken intravenously, transdermally or through a nebulizer. Note that supplementing directly with oral glutathione is generally not effective because studies have found that glutathione does not survive the digestive process. Furthermore, supplementing with oral glutathione can result in a yeast outbreak and gut imbalance. Watch a news story about autistic children receiving glutathione IV treatments here. Injections are only minimally useful, since glutathione cannot enter into the cells themselves. It must be manufactured inside the cells (when the necessary components are available.) As Dr. Kartzinel explains, methyl B12 injections and supplementing with trimethylglycine (TMG) or dimethylglycine (DMG), folic acid and N-acetyl-cysteine can increase glutathione levels. Read Dr. Kartizel’s blog post about the methylation process, glutathione and autism here.
When I first read about glutathione, I knew that both my son and I needed to increase our glutathione levels (given that we have a history of diseases within our family that indicates that we are a poor-methylating family), but it sounded so complicated to do. When I first found out about this supplement, Dr. Keller’s Original Glutathione Formula (which actually doesn’t contain any glutathione, but contains ingredients that will help the body to create glutathione), a voice within me told me that it was a significant supplement that could help many individuals (including autistic children).
I’ve spent numerous hours researching it and not only do I intuitively feel that this supplement could help most people, I also feel that there is strong science behind this (because glutathione has been so well researched, and there is strong science behind Dr. Keller’s Original Glutathione Formula as well).
Within hours of taking Dr. Keller’s Original Glutathione Formula, I felt my energy levels increase and my mental clarity improve. I felt more focused. More balanced emotionally. I found that my body was starting to crave healthier foods (like greens, salads and smoothies) and not comfort foods (like potato chips and chocolate). I was having energy at night to exercise. I could actually feel my brain detoxing and GI tract detoxing. I could literally feel poisons being released from my system through my bowels. Really.
Within the first week of starting Dr. Keller’s Original Glutathione Formula, Moses’ penmenship and ability to use scissors drastically improved (I feel that this has something to do with something in his brain detoxifying which allowed these neural pathways a better chance to function). His face had a “glow” to it. He stabilized emotionally (prior to this, he was understandably “fragile” emotionally, after our time in the hospital).
In any case, I’ve decided that I like the product so much that I’ve decided to recommend Dr. Keller’s Original Glutathione Formula. If you want to find out more, I’ve written more about this topic in the following posts on my Healing with Glutathione website:
- What is glutathione;
- Disease and illnesses linked to low glutathione levels (there are A LOT) here;
- Why glutathione production is important for autistic children, including testimonials by other parents with autistic children here;
- Dr. Keller’s Original Glutatione Formula’s website; and
- General instructions for taking Dr. Keller’s Original Glutatione Formula.
As always, I’ll continue to let you know how things unfold for me and the family. And, if you have any experience with trying to increase your or your child’s glutathione levels using this product or other methods, I’d love to hear about it.
- read these scientific papers about autism and glutathione here
- a general article about the link between Parkinson’s disease and autism [i.e., low glutathione levels] here;
- Scientific paper: “A clinical trial of glutathione supplementation in autism spectrum disorders” here (note that they did not test Dr. Keller’s Original Glutathione formula specifically, but this study shows that scientists feel that there is scientific merit to increasing glutathione levels in autistic children).
- Low natural killer cell cytotoxic activity in autism: the role of glutathione, IL-2 and IL-15. “We conclude that that 45% of a subgroup of children with autism suffers from low NK cell activity, and that low intracellular levels of glutathione, IL-2 and IL-15 may be responsible.”
- Mercury and autism: Accelerating Evidence? “The process of cysteine and glutathione synthesis, which are crucial for natural mercury detoxification, are reduced in autistic children, possibly due to genetic polymorphisms [13,30]. Therefore, autistics have 20% lower plasma levels of cysteine and 54% lower levels of glutathione, which, among others, adversely affect their ability to detoxify and excrete metals like mercury”
- Biomarkers of environmental toxicity and susceptibility in autism. “Significantly decreased plasma levels of reduced glutathione (GSH), cysteine, and sulfate were observed among study participants relative to controls. The transsulfuration abnormalities observed among study participants indicate that mercury intoxication was associated with increased oxidative stress and decreased detoxification capacity.”
- read an article by American Healthcare Foundation about glutathione and autism here. “A study performed at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences College of Medicine suggested that excessive cellular oxidative stress may be a factor causing autism. In the study, researchers measured plasma glutathione and its metabolic precursors in 95 autistic children and 75 children without autism. It was found that levels of glutathione are significantly lower in autistic children than in the children without autism.”
- an article discussing the importance of glutathione for detoxing heavy metals of autistic children here and here. Glutathione is the body’s chief detoxifier. It works with MT proteins to remove heavy metals and other harmful substances like pesticides and PCBs. Dr. S. Jill James has shown that 90% of children on the autism spectrum as well as their parents have impaired methylation. The active form of glutathione is reduced 80% in kids with autism.
- Read how Dr. Keller’s original glutathione formula had a dramatic impact on Rhonda Spellman’s son with PANDAS here.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below or send me an email at email@example.com.
Use this coupon code (RKMD-90830) to 50% off the price of any single product or single combination pack off your first order of Dr. Keller’s Original Glutathione Formula.