2015 was an amazing year for the family for so many reasons.
The highlight of our year was definitely when Moses’ wish to meet the Vancouver Canucks was granted by Make-a-wish in April!
Overall, this has been Moses’ healthiest year and our whole family has had a more “normal life”.
That said, this year hasn’t been without its challenges.
- Moses developed pneumonia in April, immediately after meeting the Canucks.
- He had a severe allergic reaction on his 9th birthday in May.
- He spent one night in the hospital in November, after having general anaesthesia to have some abscesses drained.
- Overall, abscesses continue to be an issue. He developed a total of 53 abscesses in 2015. On the positive side of things, most of the abscesses either spontaneously drained or otherwise disappeared on their own. His surgeon drained 7 of them (one was a minor incision and 6 needed general anaesthesia on two occasions), and he currently has 4 that are unresolved.
For context, we consider this a better year since in 2014:
- Moses spent 3 days in the hospital in January getting a dozen intra-abdominal abscesses drained, and 7 days in the hospital in May with a UTI infection.
- And, in 2014, he developed 67 abscesses between the end of March and the end of the year: 41 abscesses that have drained spontaneously, 17 that needed surgical intervention (2 general anesthesia for 11 of them, and 6 under local), 9 that disappeared on their own.
In October 2014, we started back with Heilkunst homeopathy after a 2 year break, and I really feel that made a difference in Moses’ health. In April 2015, we switched to a new Heilkunst practitioner and I have been very pleased with Moses’ progress with our new practitioner. The healing reactions have been a lot milder and we have received great support from her. I am so pleased.
Moses’ main symptoms are the recurrent abscesses, but as I mentioned, this year, he developed fewer abscesses and more of them resolved on their own. Thankfully, Moses also has a surgeon who has really worked with the family to minimize hospitalizations and has not pushed for IV antibiotics (unlike some of Moses’ other doctors in the past). We feel so blessed.
I’m a bit anxious because Moses’ immunologist has recently suggested a new prophylactic antibiotic to help with the recurrent abscesses (you can read more about that here).
In addition to Heilkunst treatment and monthly sessions with a chiropractor, who does cranialsacral therapy on Moses, we have continued to receive karmic healing sessions with a healer in California. I’ve been trying to minimize the number of sessions because her sessions are ridiculously expensive (painfully expensive) and the weak Canadian dollar isn’t helping. In 2015, Moses had three sessions with her, I had two and DH had one. I used to blog about our sessions but her work is really out there, so recently, I haven’t been openly sharing about those sessions. I have another karmic healing session booked for Moses in early January. I do still feel like her work is relevant to our family’s healing journey, and I practice her grounding exercises several times a week.
So, that’s where we are right now. As I mentioned, overall, Moses has had a very healthy year. He is vibrant and strong. He is playing hockey!!! I feel that our family is definitely healing together.
I feel so blessed and am so pleased. May 2016 be an even healthier year for our family. So be it, and it is so.
* I didn’t write a year in review in 2014, but this was one of my last blog posts in 2014, which summarizes where we were in our healing journey a year ago.