Raising a Sensitive Child

Nourishing Body, Mind and Spirit

February 2017 – Heilkunst update

Leave a comment

This is a summary of AJ’s Heilkunst (sequential homeopathy) update in late January to mid-February over a 3 week period. Read more about our Heilkunst journey here.

On January 28, 2017, AJ started the following droppers:

1) Atham. 30C – (Physical – Abscesses/Eczema/Thrush on corners of mouth/Rashes/Allergies/Bump on head/Accident prone/Brain fog/Bloody snot/Itching/Sleep) – a drop a day

2) Dol. 200C – (Emotions – Overly emotional/Anxiety/Stress/Fears) – a drop a day

3) Gent. crucial. 1M – (Mentals – Night terrors/Popularity/Peer socialization/Athleticism/Creativity/Academics/Self-confidence) – a drop a day

4) Anxiety – Merc. praecox. alb. 30C – as needed

We started Nature’s Bounty Flax Seed Oil, since we recently stopped Amaranth oil


AJ had been doing well for a couple of days when he started his new droppers. Making lots of friends at school. Doing well academically. Enjoying his weekly hockey games and continuing to score a few goals every game. Also, he was being very creative. Drawing late into the evening when he was supposed to be sleeping. Painting plaster moulds. We hope that this “rest phase” would continue. His last day of 24/7 CoRe treatment was on Jan 30th. I did really feel that the CoRe treatment helped to stabilize him.

As of Feb 1, AJ was still doing well. Yay! Also, the abscess under his armpit resolved on its own (disappeared), but he still had one somewhere else. Because it was in an uncomfortable spot, we booked an appointment for it to be drained under general anaesthesia on Feb 10th.

But then on Feb 2nd, AJ was a dark cloud. Mad. Frustrated. Emotionally regressing at a dental appt. And he COULDN’T TAKE HIS ABSCESS ANYMORE. He wanted them to drain it right away, but the surgery was scheduled for 8 days away. I called his surgeon’s office and there was a cancellation for the following Monday, so it was moved up to Feb 6th. Thank goodness because if they hadn’t been able to reschedule it, I had planned to bring him to the ER on Feb 3rd to get it drained. ugh, ugh, ugh, ugh, ugh. I am so sick of this vicious terrible cycle of abscesses and surgical drainage that we are on. I checked with his Heilkunstler to see if his dark cloud was because he was ready for new droppers, but she reported that they were still working quite well. She said that it’s all the invasive poking and prodding AJ was going through (i.e., dental appt at children’s hospital, probably reminding him of his recent dental trauma a short couple of weeks ago) created his dark mood. He had a night terror later that night.

We restarted the 24/7 CoRe treatment on the evening of Feb 5th and continued for 4 days. The focus of the treatment was to help AJ stabilize emotionally and physically while he fasts on Feb 6th and to positively deal with the general anaesthesia and incision and healing of the abscess.

On the evening of Feb 5th, AJ had a bad dream, but not a night terror (so that’s progress).

Abscess drainage and 4th IVIG

On Feb 6th, AJ had two more abscesses drained (right armpit and another area). As he always does, he came out from the anaesthesia with “emergence delirium”. Screaming, kicking, angry and itchy. Because he had an IV already inserted from the surgery, his immunologist decided that it would be a good time for him to receive IVIG (since last time was such an ordeal), but AJ was so mad because he just wanted to go home and he was so sick of being in the hospital. Even though he already had the IV inserted, he was upset about the flushing, so they still had to give him Midazolam in order to calm him down enough for them to get the IVIG infusion started.  It took 4 nurses (3 to hold him down and 1 to squirt the 2 syringes of Midazolam into his mouth). He screamed things like, “I hate my life and everything in my life!” [Things that parents wish they never have to hear their children say in their lifetime]. They infused it over 4 hours from 4 pm to 8 pm, so it was a long day, since we got to the hospital at 9:45 am, and didn’t leave the hospital until 9 pm at night.

Later that evening, he had one dose of Septra to see if he would tolerate it okay. Septra is an antibiotic that is effective against MRSA and individuals with AJ’s diagnosis often take Septra prophylactically, but because he also has G6PD-deficiency, the physicians have been reluctant to try him on Septra because it’s contraindicated for individuals with G6PD-deficiency. But we are desperate for these abscesses to stop, so we are open to them trying it (even though a couple of weeks ago, I mourned the fact that he wouldn’t be antibiotic-free for long).

On Feb 8th, he started an acute dropper (Arg. n. 12C) for sorrow. This was his first day back to school. He walked to school and back home on this very cold day on his own because I started work very early that morning (typically I start work after I drop him off at school). Later that evening, he was his normal self, joking around, had a voracious appetite and played hockey at the rink with DH. It felt like we were getting back to our normal groove.

Feb 9th was his last day of his three day 24/7 CoRe treatment. He called me at work at 11:30 am, complaining of a headache and stomach ache, although when I got him home, he seems okay. Still had a good appetite. DH brought him to the children’s hospital so he could have follow up blood work after his one dose of Septra. Thankfully, he was a trooper for the blood work and it wasn’t a traumatic experience for him. He played hockey at the rink with DH again later that night.

We had a great weekend. One of AJ’s friends hung out with us on Saturday and we went for a 4 km hike in the mountains. On Sunday, we went to the Rogers Hometown Hockey event at Cochrane and he even got Ron MacLean’s signature.

It felt like life was getting back to normal, but then on Feb 13th, he developed another abscess on his left armpit, which means that he had 2 abscess in total. ugh. ugh. ugh. And then on Feb 15th, he had an abscess starting under his right eye. He started taking a prophylatic antibiotic (Septra) every 2nd days, starting on Feb 15th. He will have follow up blood work next week to make sure that it’s not causing hemolysis. We are all sad that AJ’s body continues to create these abscesses. We do hope that prophylactic Septra will help. We can’t continue like this.

We have our next Heilkunst appt today on Feb 17th.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s